Nutty Orange Wheat Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 5 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon orange peal, grated
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, grated orange peel, and salt.
- In a saucepan heat milk, water, honey and oil until warm. Gradually add to the flour mixture, beating with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth; about 2 minutes. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour and chopped walnuts. Use additional flour while kneading to make a soft dough. Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Punch down and divide into 6 large sized equal balls. Place 3 balls each in a greased 9-inch loaf pan. Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375*F for 45 minutes or until done. Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3 loaves.